Saturday, June 5, 2010

Machu Picchu - the best way to say goodbye

I'm assuming if you read this, you know me pretty well. You know my sleeping habits, my inability to be an early riser, my complete distaste for extreme cardio and physical exertion. You know that while I love the outdoors and the environment, I love my coffee and I hate being cold.
Yet, I just hiked to Machu Picchu.
It entailed 5am wake up calls, camping overnight at 4100m above sea level and below freezing temperatures as soon as the sun goes down. After 2 full days of hiking, we had conquered a 4800m mountain and back down to the valley. At one point while we were hiking up, I could hardly breathe due to the lack of oxygen and personal fitness and was stopped on the side of the mountain with Erica. While we are standing there doubled over and wheezing, the porters just flew by us with at least 40 pounds strapped to their backs. I turned to Erica and asked her if she felt like a city girl. She looked up and said "I can't go 10 m without stopping, 20 minutes without eating, I've realised I don't really like hiking and I really really want a Starbucks right about now."
I pretty much agreed. So while it was painful and way past my physical limitations, the scenery and sense of accomplishment after the two days was the best reward I could have asked for. Then it was followed by hot springs and of course Machu Picchu.
If you ever need a reality check, or just to have your mind completely boggled, head there. The mystery behind the town, the culture and the architecture is immensely intriguing. I can't really describe it much better than to say go there. Now. There isn't a doubt in my mind why it is considered one of the 7 wonders of the world.

But now I have to leave Cuzco, one more day in Lima and then back to Canada and reality. It has been a life-changing learning experience, an adventure day after day and a lesson the hard way on how important it is to be bilingual. I wouldn't change the experience, because in both the ups and downs I learned a hell of a lot about people, myself and group dynamics.
I will definitely be coming back to Peru, and South America. After all, I did promise an 11 year old girl I would see her again.
That is, once I learn Spanish.

No comments: