Thursday, February 17, 2011

New Beginnings

Picture the board game 'Life'. You took the long way around by going to University and getting an education, a ton of life experiences and a hefty pile of debt. But now you're done and you're back on the road dubbed 'the real world'. So where do you go now? Especially when this economy keeps stealing you die and preventing you from moving forward. Its hard to keep on down the path when the jobs you want aren't appearing. So what do you do? Everything else.

Thats where you'll find me at the moment. Post-uni I have travelled (Peru), taken advantage of free time (summer in Kelowna), started my own business (Lilly Nichols Accessories) and sewn random contract projects for friends and family. I've also relapsed back into living at my parents. The thing is, I know what I want. I have a plan. But my generation wants everything now, or so I'm realizing, and that can't happen. So I'm looking at the steps and figuring out what tiny little things I can do to get me to my goal.

I guess the question now is why am I writing. One tiny little step is for me to stop spending money so I can save up and make a big change, aka moving to Van. However, I'm obsessed with pretty things and find myself constantly spending money. If you've ever lived with me or seen my house, you've noticed how I already have way way way too much stuff, so my goal is to make pretty things out of old. And not just counter-clutter. I want to turn all the craft-materials, excess clothing and old furniture into items that I will fill my new place with when I finally get to the coast.

So let the creativity begin! I've been missing it so....

Project #1
The Bentwood Rocker
This awesome chair rocked the 80s (pun intended). For anyone my age or older, you will remember this as a staple in not only your living room, but also in you granny's, aunt's and friends. However, the last time I sat in one of these I was under 4 feet tall and had foot braces on. But thanks to my wicked cool aunt, I now have one of my own. And I quickly discovered they are not so comfortable when you are 5' 7"


Check back soon to see how it looks when I'm done!

No comments: