Monday, February 21, 2011

Thanks Michaels...

Alright. In the effort to make this DIY blogging a consistent thing, here is my second installment.

About 5 years ago, I found myself living and working in Kelowna with a year off between high school and uni. I was working at LOR, started my first retail job at MEXX and when LOR closed down for the winter, I started on at Michaels. It was an extra couple hundred bucks a paycheck that was easily bankable...or so I thought. Me working in a craft store? Kind of like a bouncy ball in a crystal emporium, or a mouse in an elephant pen, or cookie monster in a bakery, or whatever cliched scenario you can think of. Regardless of your referenced imagery, its a disaster. Each and every paycheck went to the next coolest thing I spotted, the best craft project I had every thought of or scrapbooking (yes, its a category all on its own). Problem? I was working over 60hr a week - when exactly was I thinking I would make all these things? Unless I started sleep-crafting, and don't put it past me, I would never get the projects started, let alone finished.
So what does that leave me with? Piles, boxes, bins and crates of incomplete projects, leftover crafting items and really cool things I never even touched.



Present day: I have plenty of time, little money. Like I said before, I'm making pretty things out of old pieces and thanks to Michaels I have lots of bits and pieces. This week I'm focusing on my bead collection. I bought some awesome beads in Peru as well and didn't know what to do with them until now.


I saw this awesome necklace on anthropologie.com (probably my favorite store) and figured I could make it. So I shall try - check back friday for the final product!

No comments: